Saturday, November 8, 2008

Yes, We Can!

So this post is obviously a few days late. But I must share my thoughts on this week's historic presidential election. For more than a year, I have followed every bit of election news. I could probably deliver the stump speeches myself! It has been a roller coaster ride - from Barack's huge win in the Iowa Caucuses to the disappointing loss in the New Hampshire primary... 22 debates (I watched them all and even hosted chat rooms for the Obama-McCain debates)... the Jeremiah Wright controversy... the questioning of Michelle Obama's patriotism... Bill Clinton's comments in South Carolina... the Palin Pick (need I say more?)... the economic crisis (and turning point)...the "That one?" comment... the Colin Powell endorsement...the list goes on!

On October 20th, two weeks before election day and the first day of early voting in Texas, I cast my vote for the Obama-Biden ticket. However, emotions and anxiety continued to run high - I carried a lingering heaviness in the back of my head. On November 4th, I was completely useless at work. I called or texted most of my friends and family in my red home state of Virginia to make sure that everyone who was eligible had cast their vote. Senator Obama had spent so much time and money in the state and had a chance to turn it in his favor. I was excited to get the reports of friends waiting in line for 4-5 hours.

Anyway, fast forward to election night. I was invited to several watch parties, but opted to sit at home alone and monitor the votes state by state. I had studied the electoral map insanely and knew that Obama had really changed the map, while John McCain had only a slim path to victory. At around 7:30pm CST, the heaviness in my head suddenly lifted and my soul rested when ABC and MSNBC declared Obama the winner in Pennsylvania. I was texting the information to a friend who was in Grant Park. They were getting the calls from CNN who was being very conservative (and slow) in their projections. She tells me that I have "mad street cred" with the folks that she was sitting with in Chicago that night.

Ohio was the next big call in Obama's favor. At that point I declared "Game Over". At 10:00pm CST, all major networks declared Obama the President-Elect of the United States. I expected to be overcome with emotion, but that didn't happen - at least not immediately. In my mind, there was no choice in this election. I only questioned whether the country was ready for a skinny kid with a funny name who looks likes me to be the President. I was cool until the new first family came on the stage. I was mildly distracted by Michelle Obama's dress, but I couldn't help but marvel at the fact the my candidate had been elected.

No contention. No recount.

Yes, we can!

Now if I can get Janai to stop calling Joe Biden John McCain, things will be great.

3 comments:

Christy said...

It's funny Alveda. I never really thought much about Obama's skin color during the campaign, but when he and his family walked out on stage I was overcome with emotion at the visible statement our country was making. Finally we have chosen substance over surface and now we both can tell our beautiful kids that they can. do. anything.

Watkins Family said...

Gone Janai! Isn't it just wonderful that children of her age will not think that an African-American president is out of the ordinary? They will grow up feeling that it is the norm because they've seen it at such a young age. It is just the way it is for them. That's exciting!

nana nell said...

I know your T.V. in the living room is about to burn out. As a vistor at your home I couldn't change the channel. I was so proud of you keeping up with the election
Everyone wanted to know how I knew he had won so early. I told everyone that my daughter told me the minute it happen. As a presidential reporter you were great. But I think I stumped you when I asked you how many electoral votes there were in all. All you said was that Virginia didn't matter. Thats not like you
not to know.