Monday, November 24, 2008

What a Weekend

Even when I'm a mess, I still put on a vest, with an "S" on my chest, 'cause I'm a super woman! ~Alicia Keys

Stomach virus? Check.
Hair appointment? Check.
Football game? Check.
Grocery shopping? Check.
Birthday party? Check.
Church? Check.
Family picture? Check... well, sort of.

What a busy weekend! I managed to get over the stomach virus by Friday afternoon. And things have been crazy in the Williams household ever since. The football game was the best high school game I've seen all year, and even better was the fact that James' team landed another mark in the "W" column, bringing the team to a record of 10-0.

But no time to celebrate... I had to throw together a 1st birthday party for Jay on Saturday. With the exception of a few glitches, it went off well.

Then there was Sunday. We are early risers and get to church at 7:30am to prepare for the 8:30am service. Then there's the 10:00am Compass class that we host. Then at 11:00am, we're usually on our way back home in time for a quick lunch before James has to head to the fieldhouse to work, while the kids and I lay it down for an afternoon nap.

What was different about this Sunday is that I (being the bright person that I am) had scheduled a photo shoot for Jay's 1st birthday, and while at it, why not take a family picture as well? Seemed like a logical idea to me. Well, everything went wrong with that logical idea.

First, the kids and I napped until 3:45pm and the photographer arrived at 4pm. While he set up shop in the backyard, I worked frantically to get the kids dressed and to style Janai's hair. I managed to put some pretty spiral curls in her hair only to have them fall straight the moment she walked outside into the humid Texas November air. She looked like a wild woman. So I quickly brushed it into pony tails. Jay did not nap well, so you can only imagine the kind of mood he was in. Ummm... and what's a family picture without all members of the family present? James was busy putting together the defensive game plan for this week, and wasn't able to get back home in time. Yay.

Then there were the birthday pictures. Steve (the photographer) had planned to get some shots of Jay tearing into an 8-inch birthday cake and having loads of fun with icing all over his face. Well, that did not go according to plan. When the kid's hands touched the cake, he completely lost it! He looked down at his messy hands, looked at the cake as if it were evil, and with big crocodile tears streaming down his face, he screamed to the top of his lungs and wouldn't let up.

I still had to pay for Steve's time, and I doubt that there will be many good pictures to choose from. I will share them once I have them back. But I must plan better next time. Thank God it's a holiday week.

No comments: