Monday, November 16, 2009

Good Hair

While I often use this blog as a forum to embarrass my children, the time has come for a little self-embarrassment. This post is inspired by Chris Rock's new documentary "Good Hair". While I havent actually seen the movie, I can certainly appreciate its theme of African American women and the time and money spent managing their hair.

I recently wore my hair in microbraids. For this, I visited an African braid shop where two Senagalese women teamed up to put in a ton of braids using human hair extensions. $150 for the labor, $45 for the hair, 6 hours, and 2 Tylenol later, I came out with a very versatile and manageable hair-do. It was perfect as I was in the middle of a very busy season at work and not having to deal with my hair was a bonus.

Well those things couldn't stay in forever, but, I certainly got my money's worth. After 3 months, I started the task of removing the braids. Needless to say, the process took days. I eventually had to call in my sitter for help, and we tackled the last few in 3 hours! When all was said and done I looked like a mad woman! (Note... this shot was intentionally taken from behind so that if you ever tried to use it against me, I can claim it's not me!)



But a few short hours later, I visited my stylist in Houston for a good relaxing, washing, conditioning, flat ironing... and Voila... GOOD HAIR!




2 comments:

Aundrea said...

Funny! They only took 6 hours to put them in! That was good, here in GA I have been told that the Africans will remove the micros for $25 dollars. I just got some tree braids put in my hair and a couple of people who have actually had them before and the braider told me that the synthetic hair by FreeTress works great! NOT! I am going to try to stick with them for 2 more weeks so I can say that I got 4 weeks for my $90 I spent getting them put in!

Watkins Family said...

Cute style. You gotta see the movie though...it's really good.